Huat Kuih (发糕) is a common Chinese cupcake-like pastry. This is a very simple Chinese steamed cake recipe using dark brown sugar. The batter is steamed until it splits into beautiful sections at the top which signify good luck.
- For other colors, replace dark brown sugar with granulated sugar and add few drops of food coloring.
- Do not open steamer lid before the cake is done.
- For best result (cake rises and splits into beautiful sections), use straight-sided molds for steaming, fill batter until it is almost full (90%).
- Ensure enough water for 20 minutes high heat steaming (about 1.5 L of water).
- Dried fruits such as wolfberries, raisins etc. can be added if desired.
Chinese Version: 发糕(紅糖)-简单不失败做法
Brown Sugar Huat Kuih (发糕) Recipe | MyKitchen101en
Serving: 4 ramekins (6-oz/175-ml)
- Plain Flour 250g
- Baking Powder 4 tsp. (about 16g)
- Fine Granulated Sugar 60g
- Dark Brown Sugar 60g
- Water 240ml
- Cooking Oil 50g (about 4 Tbsp.)
1 Line 4 ramekins (6-oz/175-ml) with parchment paper, fix with rubber bands.
2 Add fine granulated sugar and dark brown sugar into water, stir until fully dissolved.
3 Sieve in plain flour and baking powder, mix until blended.
4 Add in sugar syrup and cooking oil, mix well until a batter is formed with no visible lumps.
5 Fill batter into lined ramekins until 90% full, set aside to rest for 10 minutes, boil water for steamer (1.5L).
6 Steamed over high heat for 20 minutes, do not open lid until cakes are fully cooked.
7 Chinese steamed cakes with beautiful blooming.