Nyonya Chicken Pongteh is another classic Nyonya dish which is easy to prepare. It has a rich and thick savory sauce with mild sweet and is best served with rice.
CHINESE VERSION: 娘惹Pongteh鸡 (豆酱马铃薯焖鸡)
Nyonya Chicken Pongteh (Bean Paste Potatoes Chicken Stew) | MyKitchen101en
- 350 g potatoes (cut into chunk)
- 150 ml cooking oil
- 50 g garlic (finely chopped)
- 150 g shallot (finely chopped)
- 60 g onion (finely chopped)
- 40 g bean paste/taucu (minced)
- 600 g chicken (cut into pieces)
- 50 g mushroom (soaked, squeezed, cut into pieces)
- 2 tbsps oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp coconut palm sugar (or sugar)
- 250 ml mushroom soaking water (or plain water)
1 Preheat 400 ml of cooking oil, fry potatoes until half-cooked, drain off the oil.
2 Preheat 150 ml of cooking oil, turn to medium heat, add in garlic, shallot and onion, cook until fragrant.
3 Add in minced bean paste, continue cooking until fragrant.
4 Add in chicken pieces, cook until the outer parts are cooked.
5 Add in mushroom, continue cooking for 1 minute.
6 Add in potatoes and mix well.
7 Add oyster sauce, dark soy sauce and coconut palm sugar to mushroom soaking water, mix well then add in, bring to the boil.
8 Reduce to low heat, cover and cook for 30 minutes, until ingredients are tender, stirring 1-2 times in between cooking.
9 Off the heat, discard the excess oil using a strainer.
10 The Nyonya Chicken Pongteh is ready to be served!
11 It is best served with rice.